Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Knockout














"My face is so pretty you can´t see a scar, that makes me the king in the ring by far..." Some killer reggae from the days when boxing was still fun and the rivalry between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier held the world spellbound. Big title bouts like the Thrilla in Manilla captured the imagination on the island of Jamaica too apparently, as many a knockout reggae song paid tribute to the legendary heavyweights. Note that toasters Big Youth and Dennis Alcapone both use Burning Spear´s legendary riddim to salute Smokin´ Joe. "With the left from the right, and then the right to the left, baba keep on punching..."

Derrick Morgan - Black Superman (Muhammad Ali) MP3
I Roy - Don´t Get Weary Joe Frazier MP3
Dr. Alimantado - I Am The Greatest Says Muhammad Ali MP3
Burning Spear - Joe Frazier MP3
Tommy McCook - Tribute To Muhammad Ali MP3
Big Youth - Big Fight (aka Joe Frazier) MP3
Trinity - Muhammad Ali (Blackbeard Version) MP3
Dennis Alcapone - Joe Frazier Round Two MP3

11 comments:

David Veinot said...

Great post. Frazier was one of those fighters that got stronger as them fight progressed. In fact, only 2 fighters can claim victory over Smokin' Joe: George Foreman, the most powerful heavyweight in the last 100 years, and Muhammad Ali, the most skilled heavyweight boxer ever.

Unknown said...

I was very much looking forward to the Burning Spear "Joe Frazier"--but what you have posted a link to is the great song "He Pray."

Ramone666 said...

Chris, this really is Joe Frazier. It´s a stripped down version of He Prayed, released later by Coxsone Dodd. Foreman fought Frazier in Kingston, Joe Gibbs scored hits with two Big Youth tracks based on the same riddim at the time and this was Dodd´s response. Word.

Divinyl said...

A great post...but where's Tom Russell?? :o)

Ramone666 said...

You know Tom Russell doesn´t belong in an all-reggae post dear. Btw, haven´t heard from you in a long time, where you been?

Divinyl said...

That only occurred to me after leaving a comment...doh! I've been around...ish; kind of had a lot on my plate of late, but hope to get back to blogging eventually. Still keeping track of all my blogging pals, albeit somewhat silently, though! How are you? x

Ramone666 said...

I´m still thawing out from a freak snowy day here in Barcelona... Could be worse of course. Do come back to Starmaker if you´re ready ok? You´ve been missed.

Divinyl said...

Surely that doesn't come close to all the freak snowishness we've had over here in the UK? Very odd winter indeed. But, yes, I suppose one expects Barcelona to be somewhat warmer ;o) (How very English of me to be talking about the weather!).

You are sweet, and thank you. I would love to rejoin SMM...but I shall wait until I am a bit more reliable, as things are still a bit up in the air at the moment, and I wouldn't want to let anybody down. It would definitely be a fun way back into the bloggery 'fold' though :o)

Ramone666 said...

Burning Spear knocked out by the Man. Babylon will fall.

Unknown said...

Kinda new, but not brad new. Been looking for Black Superman and found this AWESOME reggae mix of classic fight sons, some which this ex-dread locked one has not even heard.
Problem is, I cannot download the set, or even play them.
What am I missing?
Rev. Lou

Ramone666 said...

Lou, downloads are up for a limited amount of time only and these have expired by now. Sorry.