Thursday, April 15, 2010

Transformer




















Now here´s a fine example of someone transforming a trashy punk ditty into a pure pop song. Although it´s not just someone we´re talking about here of course: it´s Evan Dando. With his umpteenth incarnation of the Lemonheads, he takes on the late wild man G.G. Allin´s psycho ballad Layin´ Up With Linda and gloriously comes out on top.

Obviously, the secret lies in the musical accompaniment, as Dando manages to sound nearly as morose as the totally wasted Allin. And given the lyrics of the song, that actually makes a lot of sense. "Living with Linda wasn't always easy to do, so one day I killed her, now I'm on the run..." With special thanks to Butthole Surfer Gibby Haynes, who planted this seed in Dando´s head through one of the mixtapes he regularly provides the Lemonhead with.

G.G. Allin & The Carolina Shitlickers - Layin´ Up With Linda MP3
Lemonheads - Layin´ Up With Linda MP3

4 comments:

Holly said...

I despise g.g. .... but I love murder ballads .... ok, this _song_ is really fun! Thank you.

Ramone666 said...

I always saw G.G. as an interesting phenomenon. And some of his early songs are surprisingly good.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to hear this GG song (and play it for Lindas I know).

Good to see this with Evan Dando and Gibby Haynes involved in the story!

Thank you for putting this up.

Ramone666 said...

I´m sure your Lindas will love it.